23 March 2012

The importance of being someone else.

There is nothing I love as much as theatre, and in the WHS theatre, I've done more growing than anywhere else.
My first play was A Midsummer Night's Dream, where I replaced another girl a week before the show, which made a lot of people angry, but I learned my lines within a day, and I fell in love.
And not with that ever wonderful Brian fellow I once knew.
Or the incredibly attractive Evan.
But with theatre.
With Fineman and the way she worked, and the cast, and the set, and the giant tree trunk, and the man make-up I had to put on every night.
I loved all of it.
Then, it was over.

Then, the next season came around, and I grew to hate theatre, because it turned into drama that didn't just take place on the stage, but in the seats and backstage. I really didn't like the people I was surrounded by and for the first time ever, in my life, I was actually depressed.

Then, the spring play came and I got a lead part. It was difficult at times and there were still a lot of people I had no respect for, but I didn't have to be Casey. I could be Penelope Sycamore and I could deal with these people. Not to mention Charles Chittim would dance with me backstage right before I went on and would speak in this great Italian accent that took all the nerves away.
And then there was getting to know Charles Wallace. He was probably one of the biggest goof balls in the cast, but he was fantastic, and I will never ever forget the crush I had on him or his dedication to drama. Like when he walked to the whs theatre from downtown Tacoma in the rain. And I don't want to forget Tyrone who held my hand every night. Or Doug, who bailed the night before the show, which sent the whole cast into panic mode. I'm happy he came back.

Then, I gave up theatre for a semester. I didn't like the people in the class or the things they were doing, or the things they convinced my once best friend to partake in. I was sick of all of it. My grandpa died a few days before the start of junior year, and I needed theatre. I needed to lose myself in someone else, and to laugh like only drama kids can make me, but I was running from love and everything else.

Next semester, I knew I needed to go back, and it was a new group, but a lot of the same issues remained. The Yellow Boat had its rough patches, but I loved playing the mother of a dying child, and being in love with an incredible husband, even if he did give the most awkward hugs. (hahaha, Daphne.)

Then, there's this year. I have no complaints. Antigone was practically flawless, and the class has no divas. If people party, they keep it to themselves and don't go around bragging about it. No one cheats on their boyfriend/girlfriend backstage. For the first time, I am in love with no exceptions.
And now, I'm preparing to leave. I know I'll miss a lot of things about Washington High School, but I won't miss anything as much as I will miss the theatre.

I've really just made a home there, full of incredible people, and a great Momma Fineman that watches over and guides all of us, and listens to us rant and rave about boys(me at least) and I'm really, really going to miss it and all of you.

Who's ready for Annie?

No comments:

Post a Comment