30 June 2013

Some things do change, I guess.

It's cool to talk to my dad about things like God, and marriage, and the crazy, unconventional dates I go on.

And I like when he gives me advice.

And that he supports what I'm doing with my life.

A lot of my "daddy issues" came out in Hawaii, and I think a lot of healing happened there.

It's a long road to recovery, and I know he can't go back and change all the times he missed birthdays, and said he'd call, but never did. And I can't pretend that those things didn't hurt me.

But I think maybe I'm just beginning to accept that just because he couldn't be the father I wanted him to be doesn't mean he loved me any less. 

And I think my heart was set free a little bit more when I truthfully forgave him for those shortcomings.

I love you Dad. I really do.


No comments:

Post a Comment