02 February 2012

Worth Fighting For.

“I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”
-Malcolm X
I posted something rather bold on my facebook today, fully aware that I would be judged by some, praised my others, and probably lose a few facebook friends in the process.
Like clockwork, it all happened.
It all started with a debate during lunch over gay marriage and how some think it's sin, and they don't want to see two people of the same sex kissing. I could go into a rebuttal that I pride myself on for both of these things, so I will.
First, the one I disagree with more; in most public places, you don't see people sticking their tongues down each other's throats. That's typically a high school thing and hopefully, the teenagers that did it with multiple people or frequently in the short time span of four years will one day feel embarrassed by it. For one, I don't like seeing anybody making out. Girl-Boy, Boy-Boy, Girl-Girl, Girl-Boy-Girl. You get the picture. I've actually never seen the last one in a public place and I hope it stays that way. Do people honestly think that if we do this "CRAZY" thing and allow gays to marry, there will instantly be full on make-out sessions between them in the streets? So, what if they get married and they give that special kiss; the first one as a married couple, the one everyone deserves the right to give to the person of their choosing? Will you vomit? Will you scream because "traditional family values" have been thrown out the window? WHAT IN THE WORLD WILL YOU DO WHEN, GOD FORBID, TWO HOMOSEXUALS KISS IN PUBLIC? Get over yourself, this is America people. I don't think legalizing gay marriage will lead to a spike in gays kissing in public, I just think people will take more offense to it. So, ultimately, the problem goes back to you.


Next, the religion issue. This one is a little bit more difficult to tackle, and I realize I'm getting a bit long-winded. So, I'll try to sum it up quickly.
I found this on a website:
"the Bible...condemns sexual practices that we accept."
  • DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21
    If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately.
  • DEUTERONOMY 22:22
    If a married person has sex with someone else's husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death.
  • MARK 10:1-12
    Divorce is strictly forbidden in both Testaments, as is remarriage of anyone who has been divorced.
  • LEVITICUS 18:19
    The Bible forbids a married couple from having sexual intercourse during a woman's period. If they disobey, both shall be executed.
The author of the website was making a point that the bible talks about all these things, yet they are accepted in our modern society. I realize God didn't make the puzzle pieces to fit, and yes, he made "Adam & Eve," not "Adam & Steve." But, my argument is, we've molded so much of the bible to fit our society or have thrown out many of the old testament laws, so that we could live a life that was comfortable while still being honorable to God.
That's my issue here; we're all living in this disgusting thing called sin, but many religious fanatics feel the need to call out homosexuals as being the worst. I think that's messed up.

Back to my main point, I think my growth can be shown through the fact that I was willing to stand up for what I believe in and if I inspired one person, or made one person feel more comfortable, or safe, or loved, or accepted, I think Jesus would be proud.
Because that's what He was all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment