29 September 2011

The Beginning.

18 years ago in a small military hospital in Aurora, Colorado, a teen mom gave birth to a bald, big-headed, blue-eyed baby girl. The odds were stacked against them with little money, no parent approval, and no college education. Look at us now. My family has changed drastically and often negatively over the years, but I don't wish any different. I'm thankful my mother is a strong, beautiful woman and has set such an example for me. I'm thankful for moving away from Georgia to grow up in an extremely diverse area rather then an area plagued with traces of prejudice and racism. I'm thankful for a big brother who stepped up and helped raise me. I'm thankful for not having a lot of money, because growing up in a poor family taught me that love is enough and money is a nice luxury. I'm thankful for that girl who threw the basketball at my head in the 4th grade and made me cry because I'm stronger for it. I'm thankful for teachers who believed in me, listened to me, and occasionally made me cry or cried alongside me. I'm thankful for Sunnyside beach visits, Tacoma Parks, Lakewood Towne Center movies, and James Sales swings. I'm thankful for McDonald's on 2 hour delay snow days, my numerous visits to St. Francis, Tacoma mall, and sunny, grass filled days. I'm thankful for frilly dresses, ruby red shoes, and my grandma's knitted scarves. I'm thankful for friends, whether I still call them that or not. I'm thankful for knowing Jesus and having faith that He's got it all worked out.
I'm thankful for my childhood and I'm ready for adulthood.
Don't expect me to be too mature though. I still plan to swing, and play baseball, and roll in the grass, and laugh til my tummy hurts and have my mom hold me while I cry.
I'll always have some kid left in me.
I'm thankful for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment