08 June 2011

The Battle of the Soul.

I stepped outside myself.
I became a person I had longed to be with feelings I had longed to have;
Popular: Accepted
For a matter of seconds, I had dropped what I had worked for to fit in with a guy who wasted his breath on judging other people.
He had done it to me too.
But here he was, so willing to let me in; to bond over a feeling of mutual bewilderment.
I fell into the trap.
I smiled and nodded at a joke that wasn't funny, about a boy who had probably heard the same cruel line before.
I slinked back to my body and the feeling of regret and remorse set in.
I tried to fit back into the cracks and curves that had once been mine, but my body said no.
I kicked, I screamed, I tried to fit in any way I could, but my body just wouldn't allow it.
"You're a coward.  Do you know that?"
"It's not like I wasn't thinking it."
"Thinking it and saying it are two different things.  I can't belive you turned into one of them."
I continued to argue with my conscience, but she just couldn't see it from my point of view.
I couldn't look the boy in the eyes out of fear that he had heard or knew that I had fallen victim to the taunting and bullying he had probably been accustomed to for quite some time.




Instead, I glanced at his wrists and saw the scars.

No comments:

Post a Comment